Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 2016 20:07:34 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Jean-S=c3=a9bastien_P=c3=a9dron?= <dumbbell@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: Unexpected dependencies of graphics/libGL

--9u3m79JS4aOPhhSlPsk90PtvSpPN8vwsB

On 19/01/2016 05:49, Lu=EDs Fernando Schultz Xavier da Silveira wrote:
> Since the beginning of this year, graphics/libGL and friends started
> depending on a significant amount of software, including git and bzr.
> Could anyone explain why that is and whether it is possible to avoid
> such dependencies?

Hello!

I'm not sure how you end up with git and bzr. Maybe git is required by a
depency downloaded from GitHub. As for bzr, I have no idea: I don't have
it installed and I frequently build Mesa ports.

> Also, there is a dependency on clang and llvm from ports because of
> advanced features that I (and I guess many of us) do not require.
> I believe it has to do with the Gallium driver and OpenCL.

Yes, this is correct, LLVM is required to build and run the Radeon
Gallium drivers and OpenCL.

When the Ports tree will allow to build subpackages from one port, then
we will be able to achieve that for runtime dependencies (ie. only
install LLVM if you install the Radeon Gallium driver or libOpenCL.so).

For the build time, no, we won't add an option to drop LLVM. We already
spent a significant amount of time to cleanup Mesa ports so they are all
built correctly (they are all built with the same configure flags). Now,
it's way easier to maintain those ports, so we won't go back to where we
were.

As for the version of LLVM, we can't use the one in base because it
contains only parts of LLVM. Anyway, the API breaks with every releases
of LLVM. Mesa or libclc developers can only support a couple versions of
LLVM at one time.

--=20
Jean-S=E9bastien P=E9dron