Date:      Mon, 8 Aug 2016 10:29:31 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update from 9.3 to 11.0

--wfUFMVc5lu6hxO8ebTwo3SpjQDmPt2Ks3
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org

--ch9TOEUD92oUuRECgDrDiCfd1sFOfOVri

On 08/07/16 06:55, Doug Hardie wrote:
> Is there any information available on when freebsd-update might be
> corrected to upgrade some 9.3 systems to 11.0?  I have tried all the
> beta's and none of them will do the upgrade even with the EN applied.
> Bug 211398 has the details.

According to the history in that PR, Xin sent you a revised patch to
test and everything now works OK for you?

It seems that gradually, a wider and wider range of characters are being
introduced into the pathnames FreeBSD uses.  ISTR the same sort of
update happening before now at least once.

I guess this means there will be another EN for freebsd-update.  Exactly
when depends what and on how urgent the issues addressed by any SAs and
ENs are.  Most of the time EN's are only issued when there's a new crop
of SA's ready to go, but considering this will affect peoples' ability
to test 11.0 betas it might well come out separately.  SecTeam generally
doesn't pre-announce their release schedule, for fairly obvious reasons.

> I have a number of production systems on 9.3 that need to be
> upgraded.  I can't go to 10.x as it won't boot on that hardware.
> However, 11.0 does boot.  I can't afford the downtime to completely
> rebuild them.

11.0 hasn't been released yet -- it's currently on 11.0-BETA4.  There
was a (fairly last minute) blocking issue that meant they had to do
another round of BETAs.

The schedule here is kept up to date:

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/schedule.html

Estimated release date is the 9th September.

	Cheers,

	Matthew