Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 14:53:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        fonvi@easynet.fr
Subject:   Re: CVSup through ssh tunnel

In article <20010526185258.A19791@vobiscum.styx.org>,
Marc Fonvieille  <fonvi@easynet.fr> wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 09:12:44AM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> >
> > Do you have a "refuse" file in one of the following places?
> >
> > 	/usr/sup/refuse
> > 	/usr/sup/src-all/refuse
> > 	/usr/sup/src-all/refuse.cvs:RELENG_4
> >
> /usr/sup/refuse contains the following lines:
> doc/de_DE.ISO_8859-1
> doc/es_ES.ISO_8859-1
> doc/ja_JP.eucJP
> doc/nl_NL.ISO_8859-1
> doc/ru_RU.KOI8-R
> doc/zh_TW.Big5
>
> /usr/sup/src-all/refuse & /usr/sup/src-all/refuse.cvs:RELENG_4 don't
> exist on the box.
> > Are you sure that the server host you are using is keeping its
> > src-all collection up-to-date?
> >

> yes, i use it to cvsup my gateway

Hrm.  I don't have a good explanation for you, then.  It has to be
one of three things:

1. You are not connecting to the server you think you are connecting
   to.

2. The server itself is not up-to-date.

3. There is something wrong with the configuration of the server.

#1 could happen if you are running a cvsupd on the client machine, and
the ssh port forwarding failed.  In that case your client would be
trying to update from itself, and I wouldn't expect it to find much
of anything new. ;-) To rule that out entirely, tell ssh to use a
different local port (say, 5555) and run cvsup with "-p 5555".

You can check on #2 by looking at some of the files on the server
and seeing whether they are in fact newer than those on the client.
I'd also try removing a few of your client files that you think are
out-of-date and then running CVSup again.  See if you get up-to-date
versions when it's creating the files from scratch.

For #3 you'll have to inspect the configuration of the server
carefully and look for problems.  If you are running cvsupd in mirror
mode (-s directory), I'd recommend disabling that temporarily to make
diagnosis easier.  Likewise, don't use "-s" on the client while you're
debugging this.  (From your original mail it looks like you are not
using -s on the client.)

John