Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2017 23:07:46 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans91@ksu.edu>
To:        Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@dyslexicfish.net>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 11 - /usr/bin missing [xl]zgrep/zegrep/zfgrep

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:54 PM, Jamie Landeg-Jones
> I realise there are advantages of GNUgrep and also advantages of BSDgrep,
> hence why they are currently both available (and thanks for your work on
> getting bsd grep up to parity) but I don't understand why on the default install,
> xzgrep.. etc. are no longer linked to bsdgrep, unless there are problems
> with them? (I notice the 32K limit bug has been fixed) - but then if there
> were problems, they wouldn;t be linked whatever the configured system "grep"

Ah, I see what you mean. I've no idea on the history here, but I
believe the idea is that if I invoke one of these other links (zgrep,
egrep, ...) I'm expecting it to be actually be grep(1) based purely on
the name, and I don't consider bsdgrep(1) to be installed for anything
but a courtesy.

For grep(1) to be GNU grep while xzgrep to secretly be a link to BSD
grep would be quite surprising to me as a user/admin, especially since
there are very real output and argument differences between the two.
This argument can be furthered by imagining the awkwardness that would
come from a system where the fairly standard *grep links are a mix
between BSD grep and GNU grep.

> Hope this makes sense, I should have been asleep hours ago!
>
> Cheers, Jamie

Makes good sense, =)

Thanks,

Kyle Evans