Date:      Thu, 17 May 2012 18:26:26 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Evan Martin <evan@chromium.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chromium@freebsd.org, John Hixson <john@ixsystems.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chrome crashing system (amd64-10.0-CURRENT)

On Thu, 17 May 2012 16:12:15 -0700
Evan Martin <evan@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
> wrote:
> > Thanks. =A0I tried those, and it still locked up.
> >
> > I finally just moved away ~/.config/chromium, and it started up OK.
> > Luckily, I was able to restore pretty much everything from my synced
> > data.
>=20
> It's a little surprising to me that a userspace app is able to nuke
> your system, but perhaps the bug is just something mundane like out of
> control memory allocations and it's just swapping.

Yes, that *is* a little troubling.  I'm always touting FreeBSD to
people as being a rock-solid platform, so I was slightly embarrassed
when this happened several times recently when I had a friend over.  :-)

I'm looking into some sysctl settings now that do seem to have the
ability to trigger odd behavior with certain apps, e.g., kern.maxfiles,
kern.maxfilesperproc, various shared mem settings, etc.  Some apps will
either mysteriously refuse to run, or crash just after startup,
depending on the settings of these and similar.

My chrome problem was no doubt related to my recently having tinkered
with some chrome://flags settings.  Conservatism and caution definitely
seem to be called for with these!  :-)

--=20
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads@cox.net