Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:50:04 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Raymond Hicks <rayhicks@uu.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange command output

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 02:31:28PM -0400, Raymond Hicks wrote:
> tried the ps -aux...  shows me some things but still doesnt show me the ftpd
> or telnetd?  should it?

Not sure. ftpd and telnetd don't show up here either, but my machine
is standalone so maybe they are not running. OTOH, a reply to a
similar question about fingerd got this response:

	> BTW, why does fingerd not show up with ``ps -ax''?

	Because inetd starts up fingerd when a request comes in. Once
	it's fulfilled the request, fingerd exits. This is one of the
	advantages of inetd -- you can provide a lot of services
	without having to have daemons for each service running all
	the time.

Maybe telnetd and ftpd work like this also?

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie