Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:54:07 -0700
From:      Thomas Smith <tom@openadventures.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard drive devices (WAS Need Vinum help)

Thanks to those of you who replied to my previous question. However, I
don't think the problem was Vinum entirely.

After doing some research, I discovered that not all /dev devices are
created at install time. Looking back, one of the errors I would get
when trying to setup Vinum is "device not configured". I haven't been
able to find much documentation on what devices are created during the
installation.

The mirror partition I was trying to setup was on ad1--after I created
the slices the BSD slice was ad1s1e. I also had ad1s1d for the swap
partition, and (of course) ad1s1c for the drive.

Can anyone answer these questions for me:

- Is there a way to tell whether a device is aleady configured? That is,
if I'm not sure ad1s1e is configured can I test it to see.
- Are / slices mirror-able? There seems to be some conflicting
documentation on this. The handbook says yes but www.vinumvm.org, in
some areas, says no--as does freebsddiary.org and daemonnews.org.
- I'm coming from a Redhat background where RAID arrays can be
configured during installation. I understand that this isn't the case
with FreeBSD due to sysinstall limitation. This begs the question: What
is the preferred order of events to setup Vinum? I tried what I found in
the docs and couldn't get it done. Generally, I installed FreeBSD.
Created my vinum.conf file to concat ad0s1a. Ran "vinum create -f
vinum.conf". Saved the changes with "vinum saveconfig". Added the
necassary entries to /boot/loader.conf. And rebooted--I was able to get
a single vinum drive working fine. I created another config file to add
the second drive in a mirrored array. The config files are below.

CONFIG 1
drive a1 device /dev/ad0a
volume root
  plex org concat
    sd length 36g drive a1

CONFIG2
drive a2 device /dev/ad1e
volume mirror
  plex org concat
    sd length 36g drive a1
  plex org concat
    sd length 36g drive a2

I was never able to get both "up" at the same time--one always showed
"Referenced". When I looked in /dev/vinum/drives only a1 would be listed
but not a2.