Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:26:23 +1000 (EST)
From:      Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
To:        <brian.jackson@third-rail.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mail Cluster Question

Hi,

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 brian.jackson@third-rail.net wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
>   I've currently built an e-mail cluster with three machines running
> qmail (and FreeBSD, obviously).  Each machine is running pop and smtp,
> and they are all "balanced" using round robin DNS.
>
>   One of the machines is exporting it's /usr/home directory, and the
> other two are mounting this directory on their /usr/home, so that no
> matter which machine you hit you get your mail (not enough $$ for a
> NetApp Filer...).
>
>   Each of these machines has two disks mirrored running vinum (for a
> separate thread, yes you can have two disks mirrored running vinum and
> boot off either...), but I'm paranoid - what happens in a catastrophic
> situation where the machine exporting /usr/home goes away?  Has anyone
> done anything similar?
>
>   I'm thinking of just using a simple rsync script locally on each
> machine, and then un-mounting / re-exporting / re-mounting file
> systems, but this seems - well, complicated.

The only way to guarantee a clean failover is to use dual-ported disks or
a SAN. Everything else (eg a NAS) leaves you with a single point of
failure until someone allows mirroring of nfs-mounted disks or provides a
network block device (Linux terminology) that also works under vinum for
example. Thiking about this very problem the other day got me wondering
whether vinum would work on a vnode which was a remote file (I know vn
won't do that yet, but it would certainly make these HA systems easier).

Colin