Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 15:07:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vinay Bannai <bannai@best.com>
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org (Daniel M. Eischen)
Cc:        bannai@best.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VME support!!

According to Daniel M. Eischen:
> > I have a 486 board with a VME port. I intend to run FreeBSD on it and
> > interface to the VME boards that attach to it. As far as I can tell, there
> > is no support for a VME bus in FreeBSD.
>
> No, but this is something I really want also.  We've got a
> similar Pentium-based board with a PCI<->VME bridge chip (Tundra)
> here at work.  I'm busy on another project, and haven't had
> the chance to add support for this chip to FreeBSD.
>
> If all you want to do is be able to map VME addresses to the
> PCI bus, it isn't really that hard (given that you know how
> to program the bridge chip).  You could write a simple driver
> to do this and make the VME addresse space available to a userland
> program.  Adding support for multiple VME devices generating
> interrupts is more complicated though.

I know. But we do need the support for multiple accesses to the VME
devices. Also I don't want to mmap the registers into userland and run
it. I have done PCI drivers and hoping this is not going to be painful. I
will save your e-mail address and perhaps we can exchange some ideas. I
will be working on this starting this weekend.

> > Can someone point me to any work which has been done in this area? I will
> > be getting the details and data sheet of the VME controller chip. The
> > board is sold by a company called Cyclone based out of Connecticut.
>
> I'm in CT also, but haven't heard of them.  I just checked out
> their web site, and saw mostly i960 boards but no Pentiums.
>
> Dan Eischen
> deischen@gdeb.com

Yeah. They mostly do i960 boards. They are fairly decent.

Vinay
--
Vinay Bannai                     E-mail: bannai@best.com