Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:04:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tiller Beauchamp <tbeaucha@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
To:        mestery@visi.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake 3 Retail

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 mestery@visi.com wrote:

> Awesome!  I didn't think this was out yet!

www.lokigames.com  They ship you the game CD now, then your CD jewel, tin
box and whatever else (SuSE 6.3) later.

> The reason this didn't work is because it's not a binary, it's a shell
> script.  You don't need to brandelf it for it to work, you only brandelf
> Linux binaries.  Do a 'file' on it, and it should say it's a schell
> script.

I should have made a better distinction between the setup script,
setup.sh, and the setup binary, setup. the setup.sh script calls the setup
binary. I was branding the binary.

Last night I was poking around in Lokigames site and found that the setup
program is an open source project. It looks like it's a gui that copies
some files off the cd and creates an uninstall script.

Like you said, I tried to manually do what the setup program did. I just
copied all the files from bin directory of the cdrom to my harddrive and
ran it from there. I also had to set up a few links. Now it works fine*.

* 12.5 fps, no sound.

I'm using pcm0 and as I heard on this list, that doesn't work. I'll have
to switch to snd0.  12.5 fps hurts. I am able to get 25 fps under windows.
I am running a low end machine: 266 PII, 64 ram, tnt1.  I'm running
FreeBSD 3.3.3 and Xfree86 3.3.3.1. I followed the tutorial at

http://www.freebsdzine.org/199907/features/tnt.html

to set up GL. I also installed the the linux_glx port.  Is there anything
I did wrong to get such low fps, or is this just how it is till Xfree86
4.0?

Thanks for you suggestions :) Once I get this all sorted out I plan to
write a little how to about this.

Tiller