Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 1995 00:20:00 +0200
From:      jcaron@pressimage.net (Jacques Caron)
To:        AAU System Operator <sysop@aau.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring Network Interface Card (EZ-2000) on FreeBSD...help!!

At 22:23 13/08/95, AAU System Operator wrote:

[blah blah Ethernet won't work]

>Here are some statistics about our setup and some messages during booting:
>
>-   EZ-2000 is the NIC we're using
>
>-   But during FreeBSD boot, a line says something like "NE2000 (16-
>    bit) card..." is what the kernel has been configured to use.
>
>-   "ed1: device timeout" displays in BOLD during/after starting the
>    daemons

OK. Boot under DOS, and run the utility provided with the NIC, and do a
"view settings" or whatever. Check the IRQ. Oh, is it 3? Set it to 5.
Reboot FreeBSD.

Ohhhh it works.

Question for the FreeBSD team... it is said somewhere that the soft config
was taken out from the driver because there where conflicts in some
cases... But could the driver not at least check that the settings on the
board match those in the kernel, and if they don't, say so [and eventually
say what to do]?

Jacques.

|Jacques Caron            | Pressimage Telematique |
|jcaron@pressimage.net    | 5/7 rue Raspail        |
|Tel: +33 (1) 49 88 63 56 | 93108 Montreuil Cedex  |
|Fax: +33 (1) 49 88 63 64 | France                 |