Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 14:08:34 -0500
From:      James Walker <jwalker@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation with HPT366 and kern.flp

Hello all,
1. I am very new to FreeBSD, and pretty new with various bsd's or nix OSes.
	I am trying to install the current version from ftp, and I have
successfully made two floppies, kern.flp and mfsroot.flp which don't have
support for my hard disk controller. I have found the source for the
support under the fp server directory:
/-current/src/sys/dev/ata
and I suppose I should use the ata-disk.c and .h files, but I need help
making these into a new kern.flp file. The controller is the HPT366 one on
an Abit BE6 mainboard.
	The installation goes quite smoothly until it tries to find a partition to
install to, and it doesn't see the disk b/c the controller isn't supported.
The partition I'm gonna install to is already formatted.
I do not have a *nix or *bsd OS currently installed, but I have access to a
FreeBSD shell account that I might could use to compile or make with.
THanks,
James