Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 2020 12:40:03 +0930
From:      "O'Connor, Daniel" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        Crest <crest@rlwinm.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASPEED video driver

> On 21 Sep 2020, at 07:16, Crest <crest@rlwinm.de> wrote:
> I have no solution for the question you've asked, but I may have a =
solution for your problem. Over the years I've found the different IPMI =
KVM implementations terrible to use (slow to update, ridiculous input =
lag, keyboard layout fuck ups, etc.). Instead I prefer to use the IPMI =
Serial over LAN interface to install fresh systems avoiding the trouble =
of emulating a keyboard (and mouse) and capturing the video output. On =
most servers you can interrupt the boatloader via the serial connection =
and enable dual console operation in FreeBSD. Some of the buggier IPMI =
implementations work better with *only* a serial console enabled.
>=20
> This example should work for most modern x64 server boards (with =
minimal changes)
>=20
> boot_multicons=3D"YES" # Enable multi console support
> boot_serial=3D"YES" # Enable serial output
> console=3D"comconsole,vidconsole" # On UEFI systems try efi instead
> comconsole_speed=3D"115200" # Most boards default to 115200 baud =
instead of the 9600 FreeBSD uses for legacy reasons
> # comconsole_port=3D"0x2f8" # If the Serial over LAN is mapped to =
COM2, check dmesg | grep uart
>=20
> Sorry if this reads like a "you're holding it wrong" kind of answer, =
but I haven't had much success with IPMI keyboard and video redirection =
over the years.

Thanks, unfortunately we do need a local X server for commissioning of =
the system.

I do have SOL setup because I find that sometimes the BIOS ignores =
keypresses via the web console but the serial one works fine..

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."