Date:      Sun, 03 Jun 2012 23:41:12 +0700
From:      Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
Cc:        erob@gthcfoundation.org, Etienne Robillard <animelovin@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

On 6/3/2012 19:19, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> do a simple thing. Install a naked 8.3, 9.0 or 10.0 on a fresh hard disk. Get then the ports tree and start compiling X.
>
> I did not get a running system since at least 2007 when I did this. There was always at least one manual intervention needed.
>
> I did this the last time in the first week of May.
>
> Yes, I know how to fix this. Yes, I reported things like this at the beginning. After getting always the answer that it is working on my machine, I stopped reporting it.

Just built a VM and installed 9.0-R from the ISO.

Installed gnu-screen and bash (from ports).

Built and installed xorg-server from ports without issue:

===>   Compressing manual pages for xorg-server-1.7.7_5,1
===>   Registering installation for xorg-server-1.7.7_5,1
===> SECURITY REPORT:
       This port has installed the following binaries which execute with
       increased privileges.
/usr/local/bin/Xorg

       This port has installed the following files which may act as network
       servers and may therefore pose a remote security risk to the system.
/usr/local/bin/Xorg

       If there are vulnerabilities in these programs there may be a
security
       risk to the system. FreeBSD makes no guarantee about the security of
       ports included in the Ports Collection. Please type 'make deinstall'
       to deinstall the port if this is a concern.

       For more information, and contact details about the security
       status of this software, see the following webpage:
http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xorg

- root - xwintest.dsn - /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server - 23:20:59 ICT