Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:13:54 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Technical Support Question

On 02/17/12 19:58, Chip Oakley wrote:
> Thanks interesting possibilities.
>
> One thought I had is creating an operating system independent BIOS where
> the appropriate machine code is inserted into the events that lead to an
> override of the processes that is forcing into windows. Maybe burned to a
> CD or USB,  from another computer and tie the low level to a keyboard
> function,  Like pressing F2 etc, at boot to access new BIOS functionality.
>
> Is this possible?
I don't believe so.

Its not really that hardwired to windows, not in my experience; it is a
real PITA though. If you play your cards right and you know enough about
BIOS you will get it. With the new laptops they really try hard to stick
windows like shit on your laptop. But they can't _make_ you use it.

New HP laptops (like the ones I use), can take a few goes to get it to
install. Asus are about the same. Just watch your boot ordering and you
will be fine.

I keep reiterating using USB to install because it really does simplify
matters.

In the BIOS you usually find about 3 entries to set the boot order. One
is to set the boot order (removable, hdd, or network), one for which
removable (cdrom, usb cdrom, usb floppy, etc), and one for hdd priority
(here is where your usb disk will show up, and you _will_ have to set it
as boot every time, but it will boot).

Set the boot order for removable, hdd, network (or disable if you like).
Set the removable to cdrom. Set the hdd (temporarily because as I said
it _will_ change) to the usb disk. Voila! it will start the install.

I have found the cdrom to be fickle on the new laptops for booting, I'm
not sure exactly why but I suspect the confusion of removable drives in
the BIOS. I'm not a samsung expert, but most laptop BIOS are very
similar (at least ones in the same era).

#1 Get a BIOS expert to help if you can't get this figured. They will be
able to show you exactly what to do in front of you in about 5-10 mins.
Easier to understand if its visually shown to you rather than described.

Once you jump this hurdle you will do just fine.