Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:29:47 +0200
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: telnet as root, tcsh, and ftp on FreeBSD 3.1

At 09.58 21/04/99 -0400, you wrote:
>(1) The machine refuses to allow me to telnet as root.  Is there a way to
>do this (some option in the kernel or configure somehow?).  This saves me
>from moving from machine to machine in the same lab.  I know this is not
>safe.

  Telnet as a user in the wheel group and use the "su" command to become
superuser. If you absolutely want to enable root access by telnet, and
you're aware of the *RISKS*, edit /etc/ttys and add "secure" after all the
ttyp* entries.

>(2) I want to use tcsh on FreeBSD-3.1.  But I can not run tcsh (tsch:
>command not found).

  Install tcsh... Look at the ports. If you don't know what the ports are,
I suggest you to read the handbook at www.freebsd.org.

>(3) I want to run FTP as a normal user (not as anonymous user).  How can I
>do so?

  If you installed the system correctly, FTP works by default.

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - Systems Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it