Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 18:42:42 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
To:        jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Integration of Net/OpenBSD code (was Re: your mail)

In some email I received from Jordan K. Hubbard, sie wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand what [practical] suggestions you're
> making here.

I think people should build upon their strengths, at this stage,
rather than spread themselves around.  From comments made by others,
I tend to think that it is less than trivial to add sparc plus it
would seem that resources for it aren't exactly overwhelming.

If people are saying the x86 part of FreeBSD is weakening (some
say since the adoption of alpha) I don't think it is a good idea
to start (or promote) work on a sparc port.  To me, having people
(not me!) make those sort of comments should be ringing alarm
bells for those behind FreeBSD given its core user base is x86.

Personally, I think it is more important for FreeBSD to concentrate
on getting IA-64 (and AMD 64bit) support happening than for sparc64
and that sparc64 is a waste of time/effort for FreeBSD.  Concentrate
on what FreeBSD is good at doing and don't get distracted.

Darren
---
NetBSD/sparc64             -           self-hosting for the new millennium!
Port Home page:            -           http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc64/
Complete 64bit snapshots:  -  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc64/