Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 10:37:04 -0400
From:      "Lloyd, John" <jlloyd@wpb.nuwc.navy.mil>
To:        "'pineypl@bellsouth.net'" <pineypl@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: South Florida Newbies

>Are there any others on the list? I am in the Palm Beach County area.
>Just curious.

Depends upon how loosely one defines  "South Florida", I suppose.  I
kinda-sorta semi-officially live in West Palm because the outfit I
more-or-less work for is headquartered there.  However, my current physical
residence is actually in the Bahamas (Andros Island, near enough).

I've just installed FreeBSD for the first time, dual-booting with W98 on a
homebuilt Vegetron-, uh, Celeron-based machine that I had originally
configured for BeOS.  (I'm one of those masochists who enjoy mucking around
with multiple OSes; it's a little like playing Myst, except one might
actually succeed in killing something.  Like a monitor, for instance. ;)
Although the FreeBSD installation process seemed to have gone smoothly
enough at first, it now looks as if there will be a bit of a learning curve
involved.

Will comment further after I figure out how to get XFree86 working with my
window manager(s) of choice (the default--twm, IIRC--is astoundingly lame).
Will comment /much/ further after I figure out how to actually install
software from the 4.0 CD-ROMs.  (In this case, RTFM didn't do much good.)
Comments at truly annoying length will have to wait a while, as I'm taking
off this week for a month's vacation and the FreeBSD box isn't coming with
me.

Cheers,
--
John