Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 05:14:04 +1000
From:      "Robert" <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        "Cliff Sarginson" <cliff@raggedclown.net>, <igorr@crosswinds.net>, "FreeBSD" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: I think I understand how I stay STABLE now, without a lot of hassel! correct me if I'm wrong.

This is what I use now. given to me by the poster... Jim levie. It's
excellent.
===================================
>From: "Jim Levie" <jim@chaos.entrophy-free.net>
>Subject: Re: need cvsupfile conf for 4 to 4.2 Newbie to cvsup...
>Date: Sunday, 4 February 2001 4:21 AM

>In article <SrSe6.20$u44.2625@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>, "Merlin"
><robert@chalmers.com.au> wrote:

> I have the Kernel Developer+User Stable 4.0 installed (no X11), and am
> trying to figure out what to put in the cvsup file to update it to 4.2
> Stable. Then there is a set of instructions like make world ???? I
> believe. One thing at a time, so if anyone can help me out with a
> suitable conf file, and any instructions etc... to grab the updated
> stuff to get to
> 4.2, I'd sure be grateful.
>

> I've read the spots off the Handbook and everyting else, but the more I
> read the more confusing it gets!!!!

It may not be the most ideal, but I have the following in my supfile: kept
in the directory, /usr/local/etc/cvsup
#*default host=cvsup6.FreeBSD.org
*default host=cvsup3.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsupfile
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default tag=RELENG_4
*default delete use-rel-suffix

# Don't use compress on a T1 or faster
#*default compress

## Get all Sources
#
src-all
src-crypto
src-secure

*default tag=.
## Get all Ports
#
ports-all

## Get the Documentation
#
doc-all

From where I am I seems to get the best responce from cvsup3, but
sometimes it's too busy and I use cvsup6. With both listed in the supfile
I just comment out one and enable the other. Also I'm not sure if
src-crypto and/or src-secure is needed any more or not. If they aren't
necessary their presence doesn't seem to cause any problems.

One other thing that I do is to have a refuse file containing:

ports/chinese
ports/french
ports/german
ports/hebrew
ports/japanese
ports/korean
ports/russian
ports/vietnamese
doc/de*
doc/es*
doc/fr*
doc/ja*
doc/nl*
doc/ru*
doc/zh*

So that I only get the EN stuff. That reduces the disk useage slightly
and correspondingly cuts the time required to cvsup.

I keep my cvsup and release file in /usr/sup and run the cvsup with
"cvsup /usr/sup/supfile".

My /etc/make.conf looks like:

USA_RESIDENT=YES
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
NOPROFILE=      true
NOGAMES=        true    # do not build games (games/ subdir)

I don't know if USA_RESIDENT does anything any more or not now that the
export restrictions on the crypto stuff have been lifted. It's there,
everything works, and I'm not inclined to take it out until I see
confirmation that it isn't needed.

Once you have everything cvsup'd, you use what you've gotten by:

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# make installworld
# make buildkernel KERNEL=MY_KERNEL
# make installkernel KERNEL=MY_KERNEL

If you haven't built a custom kernel on your current installation you can
replace MY_KERNEL with GENERIC. If you have a custom kernel config,
check to make sure that what you have in your kernel config file is still
valid by looking at GENERIC and/or LINT.

The last step is to merge in the new /etc stuff and that is most easily
done with mergemaster. It will remind you to re-make the /dev stuff and
don't forget to do so.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed FreeBSD.

cheers
Robert