Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:07:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Robinson <greg@rosevale.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 4.1.0 font problem.

> On 2001.08.21 21:40 Greg Robinson wrote:
> > [Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]

> > 4.77

> > probably a

> > > I'm also running a Diamond Viper 770 (mine's an Ultra).  I had
> > similar
> > > problems with font readability until I discovered that the problem
> > (at
> > > least for me) was the DPI X was reporting for my monitor.  I have a
> > 19"
> > > LG 995E running at 1280x1024.  X was reporting 72dpi, but the Gimp
> > > configuration dialog was reporting about 102dpi.  Passing -dpi 102
> > > the X server helped big time.
> >
> > Well, this is interesting.  I have the exact same monitor.  Heavy
> > arn't
> > they? :-)
> >
> > My resolution is currently set to:
> >
> > 	dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (374x271 millimeters)
> > 	resolution:    87x96 dots per inch
> >
> > I have had limited success with TrueType fonts after another marathon
> > session last night.  I shall try your suggestion as well.
> >
> > Can you try a particular web page for me?
> >
> > 	http://www.whitepages.com.au/
> >
> > And do a reload.  The font's for me just turn really bad.  As per this
> > screen capture:
> >
> > 	http://www.rosevale.com.au/~greg/pics/fonts.gif
> >
> > You can see why I'm perplexed...
> >
> > Thankx,
> >
> > Greg.
>
> Yes, the 995E develops strong arms.  Great monitor though.  Note, DPI
> based on maximum screen dimensions will be on the low side--particularly
> if you have a reasonable margin around the image.  My calculation is
> based on the actual screen image.  YMMV.

Right.  Yes, the picture doesn't quite go right to the edge.  I'll check
my mileage.

> Yes, that GIF if "fugly."  On the intial load of the web page, the font
> in the tabs looks just like that (but NOT the font on the side).
> Reloading clears things right up.  It's usable and legible after a
> reload.  I'm using Mozilla from ports.

Yes, I think it works with Mozilla.

I've found a work around.  If I set netscape to use my fonts and
override doccuemnt-specific fonts, everything looks perfect.  A
little different and smaller, but more readable than that GIF!

Thankx for all your help.

Greg.