Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:00:21 -0500
From:      jchatel@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu (John Thom Chatelain)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   unfortunate displeasure

Dear Help Desk,

     I have had the unfortunate displeasure of destroying my HDD
file system and am in search of HELP!  During the installation of
FreeBSD 2.1.5 I reset my machine during disc partitioning.
     Right after the one selects the package to install (X-
Developer was selected) I committed to a single partition (3 slices
selected from auto) of the BSD file system on a Wester Digital
(Model Caviar 2540) 540 M-Byte HDD (1048 Cyls 16 Hds 63 Spt).  When
"newfs" was executing the partitioning procedure I hit the F1, 2,
& 4 keys sequentially (bone headed clumsiness on my part) and the
system bell sounded and would not stop.  Thinking things had gone
wrong I reset the machine.
     The system rebooted CMOS found the drive and identified it
correctly (Size 540 Cyls 1048 Hds 16 PreComp 65535 Landing 1047 Sec
63 Mode Normal) but the disk is unavailable (not found) to either
DOS or FreeBSD Install.  When the kernel boots the drive is found
and I believe assigned as device (I have another Western
Digital HDD and a CD ROM as Primary Master/Slave while the 540 is a
Secondary Master). When I use the Fixit Floppy and execute
"disklabel -r /dev/wd2" from the command line I get and input/output
error but you can see the drive activity LED light up and hear the disk
respond.
     I would like to fix this HDD problem and install FreeBSD alone
on the WD Caviar 2540 HDD.  Would you lend me your expertise or
direct me to someone who will help me to fix this problem?  If you
need a more detailed blow by blow description of the events that
transpired please ask.  I will supply any information that is
needed to get this problem resolved.

Take care,

John

jchatel@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu

PS:  I am very much a novice UNIX user and need guidance in
elementary terms.

Machine:  PCI Local Bus P552V2 Mainboard with and Intel 82430 VX
PCIset and Intel P150 CPU from EPoX Computer Company, Inc.; Mitsumi
FX 800 Series IDE CD-ROM drive; 16 M-Bytes of EDO Ram, Western
Digital Caviar 2120 and 2540 IDE HDD's.