Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:21:07 -0500
From:      Mark Tinguely <marktinguely@gmail.com>
To:        Damjan Marion <dmarion@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [GSoC] [ARM] arm cleanup - my own proposal

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Damjan Marion <dmarion@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2012, at 6:02 PM, Ian Lepore wrote:
>
>> It's been my growing impression for about a year that the arm support in
>> FreeBSD has atrophied to the point where it can barely be said that it's
>> supported at all. =A0Now I see this morning that marius@ has committed a
>> set of style cleanups to the at91 code (r234281), so maybe it's not
>> quite as dead as I feared.
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> Are you aware of projects/armv6[1] in svn?
>
> Due to big changes in architecture introduced with ARMv6 we have
> separate tree where all ongoing development is happening.
> Hopefully we will be able to merge back changes to HEAD soon.
>
> We have (partially) working support for recent Marvel SoC and some TI boa=
rds
> (PandaBoard/OMAP4, Beaglebone/AM335x). There is also OMAP3 code waiting
> to be integrated.
>
> Also Andrew is working on moving to ARM EABI[2] which will
> allow us to use llvm/clang and all new ARM goodies which are
> not supported in our aged gcc.
>
> Any help is welcome...
>
> Damjan
>
> [1] http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/projects/armv6/
> [2] http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/projects/arm_eabi

There is a lot of ARM work going on in the shadows. I know of other
things, but will let them say what they are doing.

I am doing an experimental implementation using the ARMv7 hardware
features on the pandaboard getting ready for ARMv8. As of this
weekend, the ARMv7 experimental pmap/support is booting multi-user.
There is a lot of improvements, fixing, tweeking, and polishing. (I am
taking out domains shared level1 pagetables, remove the pv_entry. I
will eventually start doing the 64 bit extended address support, etc).

I eventually want to change the boot (fold chunks of initarm() into
pmap/machdep because they are constant for every platform.

--Mark Tinguely.