Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 23:18:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   crypto stuff

This doesn't relate directly to FreeBSD, so I didn't post it to a
"working" list, but it's interesting.  RSA Data Security just started
their challenge, $10,000.00 to the first guy to break their 40 bit US
legal crypto.  What a surprise, a student from UC Berkeley broke it in 3.5
hours.  Flag up, flag down, real short challenge.  I have the two page
article on it (it was sent to the cryptography list I subscribe to).

If there's significant interest, I'll post it.  The thing to consider is
that this clearly highlights to everyone how totally useless the (legally
allowed) US data encryption is.  One can hope the embarrassment will have
some good effect.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |