Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 16:07:49 +0300
From:      Oleg N Panashchenko <helg@tav.kiev.ua>
To:        abial@warman.org.pl (Andrzej Bialecki)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLIP problems

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.960701103601.3774A-100000@korin.warman.org.pl>
abial@warman.org.pl (Andrzej Bialecki) wrote:

: I configured remote station properly (it ran with Trumpets).
: Then I did slattach -h -l -s 9600 /dev/cuaa1 (COM2). After about 2
: minutes I was able to ping the remote side (traceroute was also OK).
: Then I left ping running on one tty, and went to another in order to
: make telnet. And here something strange happened - ping got killed, i.e.
: no longer received echoes from remote side. The telnet didn't get through
: as well. The line seemed dead.

In addition to routed related advice I can add the following:

Use -l slattach switch only if your modem reports that carrier is always on.
Use "-r redial.script" if your modem DCD line state corresponds the
state of data carrier.
If you don't need to redial, just wait for carrier in redial.script

Oleg