Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:47:10 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 12:49:10PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, James A Wilde wrote:
>
> > Related question from a greenhorn.
> >
> > Most of my editing is administrative editing of configuration
> > files and the like.  For that vi is a pita with all that programmers
> > crap.  The only functionality I use is x for delete, i for input,
> > Alt $ for goto eol (I don't know how you get to the beginning) and
> > d with the down arrow to remove two lines, which means that I often
> > have to insert a line first in order to delete the one line I need
> > to remove.
> >
> > Is there for UNIX  something with the lack of complexity of the
> > DOS edit program?  Simple marking, cutting, pasting is all I really
> > need.
> >
> > Thanks for any tips.
>
> two tips:
> please set your line wrap to 70 characters.
> don't refer to my favorite editor as 'crap' at least mine knows
> how to format email.
>
> you may want to try 'ee' it comes with freebsd and keeps it's help
> at the top.  but let me answer your vi questions:
>
> 0 - goto beginning of line
> dd - delete a single line
>      precede with a number to delete N lines 5dd - del 5 lines
> dG - delete to end of file
> d1G - delete to top of file
> u - undo
> P - paste deleted selection before cursor location
> p - paste deleted selection after ursor location
> A - jump to end of line and go to edit mode
                                    ^^^^
> I - jump to beginning of line and go to edit mode.
                                          ^^^^

Not trying to be clever, but shouldn't that be input mode? I only
point it out because it might confuse a newbie as all the docs
(including the manpage) use the terms "input mode" and "command
mode"; "edit mode" could mean either.

> -Alfred

PERL has been described as "the duct tape of the Internet"
and "the Unix Swiss Army chainsaw"
				- Computer Shopper 12/99