Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:50:23 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to diagnose system freezes?

On Jul 31, 2012, at 8:29 PM, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 7/31/12 5:02 PM, Yuri wrote:
>> One of my 9.1-BETA1 systems periodically freezes. If sound was playing, i=
t would usually cycle with a very short period. And system stops being sensi=
tive to keyboard/mouse. Also ping of this system doesn't get a response.
>> I would normally think that this is the faulty memory. But memory was rec=
ently replaced and tested with memtest+ for hours both before and after free=
zes and it passes all tests.
>> One out of the ordinary thing that is running on this system is nvidia dr=
iver. But the freezes happen even when there is no graphics activity.
>> Another out of the ordinary thing is that the kernel is built for DTrace.=
 But DTrace was never used in the sessions that had a freeze.
>>=20
>> What is the way to diagnose this problem?
> The answer depends on a number of things but an NMI can be useful if you h=
ave some way of
> generating them. (some IPMI implementations can allw you to generate them a=
nd some motherboards have
> jumpers to allow you to attach a 'nmi-button'.
>=20
> The fact that ping is not responsive is important, as that is done at a ve=
ry low level but
> it may still be alive down there somewhere.
>=20
> Make sure you have debugging enabled in your kernel. That will catch quite=
 a few 'hangs'.
>=20
> as also mentioned by others... a serial console and DDB may also be useful=
 in some hangs.
>=20
>=20
> Julian
>> CPU: i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz
>> Memory: 24GB
>> MB: P2T
>>=20
>> Yuri
>>=20

Yuri
  Install sysutils/mcelog and try running the example included . While not a=
 complete definitative hardware test it can report other hardware issues tha=
t memtest86+ misses and it can be run on line in multiuser mode and via cron=
 .=20

---
Mark saad | mark.saad@longcount.org