Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 21:25:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3 days to E-day

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Are you sure?  I thought that if you were linking up a elf executeable,
> > you'd have to use 100% pure elf libs (and vice versa), and no mixing
> > allowed.  I know about the underscore business, but it's a different
> > linker extirely, isn't it?
> >
> > I also thought that the run time linker (ld.so) only knew about one
> > flavor, so you needed an elf one, and an aout one, and no mixing.
>
> John Polstra has a tool which *may* be able to convert a static a.out
> library into a static ELF library.  It would be trivial to frontend
> this to make 'shadow' ELF copies of a.out libraries.
>
> I haven't heard from John on this for a few weeks now; I do recall
> there were some complications, but I'll leave them to him to discuss.

I'd heard John talking about that tool for a couple of years now, but I
was under the impression that it wasn't something contemplated for the
short term now, so we'd still have to build (either static OR shared)
stuff either all elf (all elf libs) or all aout, and not allowing any
sharing at all.  Certainly that's true for shared stuff, because the
ld.so isn't smart enough to handle both, and I think the linker isn't
either.

It's a great idea, but it's not going to be true, short term, and
telling folks that is going to cause more harm now.

FYI, I let XIG know about the timing of the move to ELF.  Maybe, if
Jordan has a commercial mailing list, it'd be a real good idea to make
up a form letter to email to everyone who has FreeBSD stuff being sold,
to let them know all the facts, before rumors of wild tales get to them.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).