Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 1997 14:20:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting info added to website...

> For a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the generous
> support Walnut Creek provides for the FreeBSD project, I have an
> instinctive hesitation about providing free advertising of this.
>
> Thoughts?

We have to avoid playing favorites on this one, I think (and heck, I'm
a WC employee!) and simply view this as a potential opportunity for
cash-strapped users to get ahold of CDs.

If we do add this entry, we do probably want to amend WC's entry to
note that they are financial supporters of the project (e.g.: "Walnut
Creek CDROM also donates a percentage of CDROM sales to the FreeBSD
Project and is the project's strongest commercial supporter") so that
users can make their purchasing choice based on all the relevant
factors.  We could also note that WC's product is a 4CD set whereas
the Cheapbytes one contains only a single abbreviated CD's worth of
contents (e.g. there's no way in heck they're managing to provide full
distfile and package sets on that one, much less the CVS repository).

In other words, one may cost $39.95 and the other $5.99, but one's
also got 4X as much stuff on it and includes the "starting freebsd"
book.  As long as that's all made clear then the customer knows the
trade-offs they're making with each product.

					Jordan