Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 18:30:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        (Niall Smart) <njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Distributed systems/processing using FreeBSD

Hi Niall Smart;  On 31-Oct-97 you wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  I was wondering if anyone had any pointers to information or comments
>  on using FreeBSD as the base operating system on which to build some
>  infrastructure useful in distributed systems/processing.
>
>  I am currently looking at a number of projects for my final year project
>  in college, and should be deciding on one soon.  Two of them really
>  belong in an operating system kernel and therefore hopefully merit some
>  discussion here:
>
>   - distributed filesystem; a high performance (intelligent caching and
>     replication of data), secure (authentication and encryption),
>     heterogenous and hopefully relatively lightweight distributed
>     filesystem with conventional filesystem semantics (distributed
>  locking)
>     (By lightweight I mean that it should be easy to setup and use,
>     hopefully as straightforward as plain old NFS)
>
>   - a library of useful communication primitives for distributed parallel
>     processing, e.g. distributed shared memory, distributed semaphores
>
>  Also, if anyone else is working on similar areas or would like to do
>  some stress/beta testing I'd be interested in hearing from them too.
>
>  Yours sincerely,
>
>  Niall Smart

I am working on some of these issues.  Please contact me directly if you
are interested.  We are building a distributed, Fault Tolerant transaction
processor using RDBMS and FreeBSD, integrated.

---
If Microsoft Built Cars:

Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you'd have to buy a new
car.

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313