Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 16:41:02 -0400
From:      Gary Corcoran <garycorc@mail.idt.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu, janus@freegate.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Plug and Play naivety

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Is the (eventual) plan for the PnP code to allow kernel-config-specified
> > values to override those programmed by a PnP BIOS?  This would be
> > desirable to allow for fixing things when the BIOS botches its
> > automatic assignments (and/or I just want to specify, for example, my
> > own priorities for IRQs).
>
> One would hope the kernel were capable of automatic assignments.  The
> less user involvement, the better.
>
>                                         Terry Lambert
>                                         terry@lambert.org
> ---

Sure, if all assignments _can_ be handled automatically, I'm all for it.

But I would like to have the _option_ of overriding automatic
assignments in case things go wrong.  I've wasted too many hours
fighting
"all-knowing" PnP BIOSes and Win95, which, had I the option of setting
things to what *I* said, would have solved my problems in 2 minutes...

Gary