Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 08:50:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        rkw@Dataplex.NET (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.0-19980923-BETA/

Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> >> I'd prefer cvs-current and cvs-stable to numbered ones or we'll have
> >> to rename lists at the roll-over rather than simply transitioning the
> >> topics of discussion accordingly.
> >
> >	cvs-stable and cvs-current do not exist at this time.
> >	we currently break out the lists per the source tree
> >	structure...and stable vs current do not have their
> >	own source trees.
> >
> >	let see if resurrecting the myriad cvs- lists we have
> >	today doesnt solve the problem.
>
> I think you may be missing the point.

	with the impending release of 3.0 the number of commit messages
	has skyrocketed.  the sheer volume is overwhelming a number of
	people.  this is a temporary situation.  once the volume settles
	down and people will be able to handle the quantity of mail.

	one way of deceasing the volume is to split it into several
	streams, in place of one stream.  we currently do the split
	according to the source tree.

	we could do the split in other ways....but i dont know the
	cvs code, have never modified and will not "volunteer" someone
	else to do so.  uncommenting code in cvs that was recently
	commented out is another matter entirely.

	if you want a stable/current split, please send patches and
	get someone who knows that code to review the patches.

	people have a lot to do right now, this is not the first
	priority.   doesnt mean it wont happen, just means it wont
	happen first.  i fully expect that 3.0 will be released before
	someone has time to create the current/stable split in the
	stream of cvs commit email messages.

jmb