Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 02:51:03 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Andrew Specht" <andrew@iaccess.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current - stable prediction?

> Is there an approximate date when 3.0-current will become a stable version?
> Or is this to hard to predict at the moment?

It's hard to predict.  The first release of 3.0 is scheduled for
October, but I'm not sure how long after that it will be before we
move the -stable tag over to the -current branch.  I think it stands
to reason that we'll want to have at least one or two releases off the
3.0 line under our belts before we can adequately determine its
"stability" in the field, and that's just basic conservatism.  I do
know of more than one ISP running it right now who swears by it, some
of whom report even better results than they had with 2.2.x (there are
a few things in 3.0 which are difficult to bring back to 2.2.x but fix
substantial problems), but we need more such reports before we can
really be sure it's stable enough for -stable.

- Jordan