Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:01:05 -0400
From:      Chris Carr <carrch@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loader/installer problems - can't load 'kernel'

Thanks for trying to help, Torfinn!

Specs of machines:
Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz, 1.25gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200
iMac G3 (Summer 2001) 600MHz, ATI Rage 128

The "load sbp" command (entered at OF boot loader) results with: can't
find 'sbp'

I've tried a partition on my Powerbook's internal HD with BSD 9.0
liveCD on it and it's not cooperating either.
Does DiskUtility or (command line) asr work for loading necessary boot
blocks on to a device?
The dd command does a device/block copy which is somehow different
than an asr restore?
I'm just confused as to what is going on since open firmware can see
all the files on HFS (or HFS+), OF can start the boot loader, but then
the boot loader loses all knowledge of any filesystems.

Using the devalias (of USB stick or FW ext HD) doesn't seem to help.

Maybe it all goes back to how the files are getting on to the (not a
CD) install partition...

Thanks,
Chris Carr