Date:      Sat, 20 May 2006 13:57:00 -0400
From:      "Howard Leadmon" <howard@leadmon.net>
To:        "'Kris Kennaway'" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Trouble with NFSd under 6.1-Stable, any ideas?

 Sorry for delay, ended up sick.. :(

 You say use tcpdump, is there something I should be looking out for?   As NFS
is serving files, even more strange is if I kill off the nfsd process it's
zippy fast for a moment and then the CPU load goes through the roof, and it
starts serving files slowly.   So it's actually working, outside of it
consumes all available CPU and brings the machine to it knees quickly.
Doesn't matter if I access it from my Solaris box, my other FBSD boxes, and so
on, it still dogs down terribly and never used.

 Anything anyone can think of config wise that might cause that, it would be
nice to know.  I have the following that I can think of that affects NFS
configs:

#
# NFS
#
nfs_client_enable="NO"          # This host is an NFS client (or NO).
nfs_access_cache="2"            # Client cache timeout in seconds
nfs_server_enable="YES"         # This host is an NFS server (or NO).
nfs_server_flags="-u -t -n 5"   # Flags to nfsd (if enabled).
mountd_enable="YES"             # Run mountd (or NO).
mountd_flags="-r"               # Flags to mountd (if NFS server enabled).
weak_mountd_authentication="NO" # Allow non-root mount requests to be served.
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"    # Provide NFS only on secure port (or NO).
nfs_bufpackets=""               # bufspace (in packets) for client
rpc_lockd_enable="YES"          # Run NFS rpc.lockd needed for client/server.
rpc_statd_enable="YES"          # Run NFS rpc.statd needed for client/server.
rpcbind_enable="YES"            # Run the portmapper service (YES/NO).
rpcbind_program="/usr/sbin/rpcbind"     # path to rpcbind, if you want a
differe
rpcbind_flags=""                # Flags to rpcbind (if enabled).

 I can't think of anything that should have changed, unless mergemaster
updating the default files might have changed something that would have an
effect.

---
Howard Leadmon
http://www.leadmon.net