Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 14:39:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.dk.tfs.com>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0-970124-SNAP: man page search order

> >> 2. The real thing is this.  The man page search order finds all of the c
> >> programming calls after the TCL ones, so "man bind" returns TCL's bind,
> >> not the syscall bind.
>
> Well, somebody find out what it takes to fix the search order and
> that end of that story.

Looking in man/lib/config.h:
  static char *std_sections[] =
    {
       "1", "l", "8", "6", "2", "3", "n", "4", "5", "7", "p", "o", NULL
    };

This is the order that is searches in (it doesn't care the order of the
man pages, it cares about the order of the sections).  Although, it will
pickup the man pages in the same sections in the order by which they are
set, so if you have two bind.1 man-pages, the one that is set first in
/etc/manpath.config will be used.

(Note, the above line is modified by me to not care about .n man-pages
since I could care less about TCL manpages, which are the by far the
most common pages stored in our system.)

> >I'm also fairly annoyed by this.  I never got it right why Tcl
> >installs its man pages into the inofficial section `n' in the manual
> >at all (is it really something to be considered `new' these days? :),
> >but it's particularly annoying to have this section being searched in
> >front of the standard sections.
>
> Well maybe it should be called .t instead then ?

There are so many of them they really deserve their own section.  But,
we'd become non-standard. :(

Nate