Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 00:01:57 -0700
From:      "Michael W. Collette" <metrol@metrol.net>
To:        Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] 3.0.1 review

Lauri,

Adding the mailing list to my reply here.  Good stuff in here that should be
out for everyone.

On Wednesday 05 June 2002 03:15 am, you wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 June 2002 13.24, Michael W. Collette wrote:
> >Kinkatta  AOL Instant Messenger Clone
> >- Don't think we're going to be seeing a KDE3 version of this any time
> > soon. The author indicated a while back that he was all done with this.
>
> Yes.  This is officially abandoned.  Benjamin is still about, but working
> on other things, there is Kit in Kdenetwork (which kinkatta was based on
> anyway) and there is the upcoming Kopete (I'll just hold on to my opinion
> of that, so far, lets just say it's not provin

Yeah, I'd read the author's notice to folks about his leaving that code base
for others to deal with.  Really is a shame, as it is far and away the best
messenging client I've used on *nix thus far.

Biggest show stopper for Kit is it's total lack of being able to import a
buddy list from AOL's servers, or even a local file.  That, and it's kinda
hokey all the way around.  Sticking with the standard AOL client for now.

Hadn't seen anything on Kopete yet.  I'm willing to give anything a shot, but
it kind of stings having to leave a known good app behind.

> Kappdock  Windowmaker Dock App Holder
> - - There is a KDE3 version on this one out.  I had a port all finished up
> on this, then accidentilly wiped it out on a cvsup.  If someone hasn't
> worked this one already, I can get busy and do this one up again.
>
> > showimg  Image Viewer
> > - No mention of KDE3 support.  Could only begin to guess what language
> > the web site is in.  Last update to the news there was in January.
>
> Adriaan did the port to 3.x and had it compiling and running on it's own,
> and then I turned it over to Alan when I failed to make it compile as a
> port. So, this one is in the queue, but Alan is also pretty busy.  Maybe
> Ade can post his patches here and you could have a go at finishing it up?

No problem at all.  Been through that one before, and had it compiling nicely.
It's still running without a glitch on my desktop machine.  Didn't require
any patches at that point though.  Are you talking about Makefile patches or
app patches?  I guess Ade can clarify that later.

> > Qt2 Ports:
> >
> > KVIrc  IRC Client
> > - No Qt3 version up there.  I tried mucking around with this port, and
> > ran into a wall over and over again.  Development of a new version is
> > supposedly going on.  14Jan2002 was the last news update on the web site.
>
> The -devel version compiles with KDE 3, but is apparently "flaky" (I don't
> use ksirc, Andy may have input there)
>
> > QCad  CAD Drawing App
> > - No mention of Qt3 support.  Looks to be still under heavy development.
>
> There is a statically compiled Linux binary, which someone may be able to
> coax into running with the Linux emulation.  It's worth trying, I suggest
> the Opera port (which is a similar static linux binary) may have clues.

To date, I've had zero luck figuring out how to get Linux stuff to play nice
without lots of port assistance.  Guess it'd be good stuff to learn though.
Don't know if the time will be available to me for another week or more to
dive deeply into that one though.

> > avifile  Movie player
> > - Honestly don't know how good this is or not.  Was looking to play a
> > DivX file the other day, and didn't realize it was a Qt2 kinda port until
> > it tried to pull down Qt2!  Last site update was this month.  No mention
> > of Qt3 support.
>
> It's fab, although the GUI is a little wobbly.  Lets you change output
> options on the fly, and very tweakable.  I would not be surprised if this
> one compiles with Qt 3 with just a new port Makefile.

Any suggestions on tweaks I might try out over here?  If I get it to work, I
swear I'll make a backup copy this time! :)

> > Those would be the top of my personal wish list.  I really miss KVIrc.
> > KSirc really bites, but is adequate to get by for a while.
>
> Heh, and I think the opposite.  I just want to chat, not fight with a gui
> and far too many buttons.  Ain't choice great :)

I mainly liked the fast switching between channels and it's remembering my
list of servers.  It's been years since I've been a serious IRC user.  Used
to op in a channel, running all kinds of fun scripts I wrote in mIRC back
when.

> > There's still a whole bunch of other goodies out there needing Qt2.
> > Though not impacting me personally, all those non-English ports look to
> > be a non-trivial task.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=qt-2.3.1&stype=requires
>
> I'd personally prefer not to jump on ports that do have a maintainer, until
> we've cleaned up the ones that are ports@ or kde@ maintained.  That's *me*
> though, so I'm going to keep nagging about those ones until they're done,
> and then maybe we can start "encouraging" or even "helping" the port
> maintainers of other apps to get them updated too.

You, Will, and Alan are the folks that are probably most in the know about who
all is doing what.  Perhaps a quick list of what all needs some additional
help for those of us not so heavily in the loop?  Anything that can be done
to get things rolling more quickly without duplicating work.

> Also note, there are several apps in the list above that are now wrapped
> into the KDE distribution itself, including Kuickshow (image viewer),
> KStars (a really cool planetarium app) and kio_fish (for 3.1)

Yeah, I knew about most of those.  Been showing off KStars wherever my laptop
goes.  "No, you can't run it in Windows.  It's only available on a real OS!"
I'm very diplomatic that way.

Later on,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."