Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 21:46:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   really strange ppp problems

Hi:

A long while back, after a bunch of commits regarding ppp (like requiring
a password to telnet into ppp), I noticed that things stopped working for
the most part.  For instance I have a little script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
to start up ppp with -ddial.  Suddenly I couldn't authenticate a
connection unless I hit ctrl-c during the script to fork it into the
background, and suddenly _one_ of the dial up numbers I used that had a
PortHampster ;-) PM3 attached to it connected, authenticated (as long as
I hit ctrl-c) but the send/recv lights light up like a christmas tree
until the connection timed out (30+ minutes sometimes), the VP of
Engineering claims that it's hosting a full load as of my complaint. But
at least things still redialed correctly. After a few more commits and
make worlds pap and chap authentication stopped working all together.  I'd
left my configuration untouched with the exception of adding an "account"
to /etc/ppp.secrets to allow ppp to actually work and let me telnet in
when needed.  I've added deny pred1 to my ppp.conf, and looked over
everything.  My isp requires that I use a WEN4/ or ppp- prefix with my
login name.  Neither one works.  Now to get connected I have to load ppp
manually and dial and login by hand, or use a chat script with my
password out in the open (oh joy). I'd love to get chap/pap working again.
Any ideas?

- alex