Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:08:04 +0100
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        "Adam D. Gorski" <agorski@engin.umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB problem (was: Cat'ing /dev/audio)

Hi.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 08:54:49AM -0500, Adam D. Gorski wrote:
> I moved to FreeBSD just recently from Slackware. Everything runs
> beautifully, except my sound. I originally had a SB PCI 64 (es1370 chip) in
> my box, which Linux loved and everything was happy. However, under FreeBSD,
> playing mp3/ogg files produced terrible popping/screeching that made the
> music unlistenable. Note: under Linux, I had no problems. My box is a p2-450
> with 256 megs of ram, so I would think that playing mp3's wouldn't be an
> issue.

I had similar problems: mp3's were crackling with xmms. This was fixed
after the last xmms update. Before that I had no problems, when using
esd for output in xmms instead of direct OSS output.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |