Date:      Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:17:08 +0200
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, Bastian Rieck <bastian@tecroots.net>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop recommendations?

El día Saturday, June 25, 2011 a las 11:25:02AM -0700, David Wolfskill escribió:

> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 07:34:24PM +0200, Bastian Rieck wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I need to replace my old IBM Thinkpad R50e, which is running FreeBSD
> > 8.2. Currently, my favoured replacement is a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E520.
>
> I rather like the laptop I've been using for the past several months: a
> Dell Precision M4400.  I track stable/8 & head (in different slices) on
> it daily; it normally takes about an hour to take care of both of those.

I run a bunch of laptops/netbooks, all with some older 8-CURRENT or now
9-CURRENT (head):

Acer Aspire One D250
Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M1437G
Asus EeePC 900
Dell M4400

Ofc, every laptop has its own problem, for example with sound, and needs
special attention (read: finding a solution);

concerning graphic, it's not an FreeBSD issue, but havin support in Xorg
for the chipset;

the best way, if youd dealer allows it, would be to boot the laptop in
question with a recent Knoppix DVD to see in detail what is in the box
and then check the FreeBSD man(4) pages if it is supported;

> And it has a 1920x1200 display -- as well as 2 sets of 3 mouse buttons
> each (each of which works as expected).
>
> I have found that I sometimes manage to slide the "WiFi disable" switch
> to an unwanted setting accidentally, and the power connection slips out
> a little too easily, but those are about the worst things I can think of
> with respect to the hardware.

I have the same problem with the M4400 :-) it's just a bad hardware/case
design;

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211