Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:28:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   AMD PCnet PCI II vs Realtek RTL8139

I managed to get 2 PCI NICs to replace my old ISA 3Com 3C509
EtherLink III. So I have to choose between the two cards :

 - AMD PCnet PCI II (AM79C970 based) that seems to be 10Mps only (but the
hub is 10Mps anyway)

 - Realtek RTL8139 that seems to be quite basic regarding features

Has anyone experienced these cards ? I have a relatively weak
configuration (pentium 133 / 64 Mo EDO / IDE) so I was wondering if there
was any interest for me to choose one or another (putting down CPU from
some network related stuff could be useful but I don't know how
effective it is for a 10Mps workstation). Also there are some issues
regarding RTL8139 commented in the kernel sources.

Herve