Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 1995 23:11:13 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mpp@legarto.minn.net (Mike Pritchard)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC kernel & some basic UNIX pointers

Mike Pritchard stands accused of saying:
> Since a lot of potential new FreeBSD users probably are using PPP/SLIP
> through some type of ISP, the GENERIC configuration file should contain
> PPP by default.  If we need a smaller kernel for the boot floppy, then
> there should be a "BOOTFLP" configuration instead.  The installation
> should start with the BOOTFLP kernel, but one of the loaded distributions
> (bindist? or whatever) should provide a more fully configured kernel.
> E.g. the GENERIC kernel.  This should be done for 2.1.

The PPP faq should actually mention the user-mode PPP and the tun0 device
which is obviously still in the bootfloppy kernel.

IMHO this is _much_ easier to use from my (limited) exposure than pppd
for the 'average user'.

> Mike Pritchard

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[