Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:23:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        whedbee@digital.net (Ken Whedbee)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi tape-drive and "extraneous data discarded, COMMAND FAILED"

As Ken Whedbee wrote...
> Hi -
>
> I recently moved my internal Wangtek 5525 scsi tape drive from inside my
> computer case to an external scsi encloser.  The Wangtek has been working
> just great the past couple of years inside my computer case and using
> FreeBSD.  But now it is acting up with FreeBSD since I moved it to the
> external encloser.
>
> When the Wangtek was inside my case, it was the terminating device.  It
> has the terminator packs in place on the unit.  My CD-ROM drive is now
> terminating my internal bus, and the Wangtek is terminating the external
> bus (with its terminator packs).  My scsi controller is a PCI Tyan S1365
> with the NCR 875 chip.
>
> As you can see from the "dmesg" output below, FreeBSD is communicating
> with the Wangtek.  However, not well enough to do dumps and restores.
> When the tape unit was internal to my case, I had no such error messages.
> I now have the Wangtek set for scsi id 4.

How long is your SCSI cable/bus now? As you are running Fast-20 aka
Ultra  SCSI you better keep it below 1.5 maybe 2 meters. In addition, using
two different cable types, flatcable internally, round outside (I guess)
are not the best thing to do.

You might also consider using external active terminators instead of the
resistor packs of the devices themselves.

Wilko