Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 22:09:32 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@lucent.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fxtv lockup using camera

 |For a few months, I've been using my Hauppague Wincast/TV - fm  Model 401 on
 |my 2.2.6-Release system to view/capture etc. cable TV.  I use fxtv 0.46 from
 |ports but had to get the driver from
 |http://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/pub/bt848/22x
 |<http://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/pub/bt848/22x>;  and patch it as
 |described there to work with a pre 3.0 system.  TV is great at 800x600 16bpp
 |(usually) as well as higher resolutions and higher bpp.

Ok.

 |I just bought a color camera to play with things like Mbone, NetMeeting etc.
 |When I use it with fxtv, the system locks up.  At 640x480 8ppp, there is no
 |lockup, but the picture quality is lacking.  At 16bpp FreeBSD locks.  Under
 |NT 4.0 SP4, I run 800x600 true color to be sure the hardware works.
 |
 |Besides moving to a current version of FreeBSD, is there anything I can try
 |to figure out what is wrong?

Hmm.  What motherboard?  And was this the same as what you had working on a
pre-3.0 system?

Does it work @ 24bpp?

In 16bpp, try "fxtv -disableDirectV".  See if that is stable.  Basically,
it's forcing the same transfer mechanism as is occuring in 8bpp
(TV-card-to-system-memory copy, munge, then hand to X server to display),
rather than the default in 15/16/24/32bpp modes which is direct video
(TV-card-straight-to-video-card-frame-buffer transfer).

 |My system is 2.2.6 installed from CDROM.  I run XF86 3.3.2 on a Matrox
 |Millennium II PCI with 8MB WRAM.  My monitor is a Viewsonic 17.  The

Millenium 8MB.  You'll probably need the 8MB millenium patch to work around
an X server bug if you run > 1024 and @ 32bpp.

Might try cranking the resolution up and see if that works any better.

Randall