Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 00:42:29 +0000
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        ching@tekram.com.tw
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to make "Installation Boot Floppy" ?

On Jul 10, 15:00, ching@tekram.com.tw wrote:
} Subject: How to make "Installation Boot Floppy" ?
} Hi,
}
} We are SCSI adapter manufacture, Tekram Technology Co., Ltd. We are
} developing adapter driver under FreeBSD 2.1.0 for our product
} DC-390(T) (with AMD 53c974 scsi chip) and DC-390W/U/F(T) (with
} SYMBIOS 53c825A, 53c875). It is late for our driver to build in
} RELEASE-2.1.0. So, we have to make custom "Installation Boot Floppy"
} for our user. I had trying to make it by using the Makefile at
} /usr/src/release, but met some error. Is anyone can help me ?

Well, 2.1.0R has been released a long time ago ...

But the upcoming 2.1.5 ought to be able to boot
from a NCR 53c825A or 875 controller card.

Did you try with any of the SNAP releases ?

I have prepared most of the changes required to
integrate full support for the 53c875. Since the
875 will need different SCRIPTS code than the
older 53c8xx chips to take full advantage of
its new features, the driver will decompress and
dynamically link the code executed by the SCSI
chip in the driver init phase. (These changes
are also supposed to go into the ncrBsd driver,
which is the FreeBSD driver ported to Linux by
Gerard Roudier.)

This is a very complex change, and I'll need a
controller card to test my changes with. But I
did not find any cheap 53c875 based card, yet.
If I saw one announced, then it was much more
expensive than an Adaptec 2940UW. And while
it can be as fast as the Adaptec, I won't pay
significantly more ...

What will your card cost and who will sell it
in Germany ?

The AMD SCSI chip appears to be far inferior to
even the cheapest NCR/Symbios, the 53c810. The
AMD requires multiple interrupts per transfer,
while the NCR generelly completes the SCSI
command including any disconnects/reselects
with no host CPU intervention except for the
command complete interrupt. (And the NCR driver
in *BSD does not wait for the CPU to service
the interrupt but continues working on other
SCSI commands immediately after raising the
interrupt line!)

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160