Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:39:18 -0500
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@just.puresimplicity.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Opinions on IDE RAID controllers?

Hi,

   I'm looking to add a bit of redundancy to a machine that should
have been built this way from the start, but hindsight is always
20/20. I plan on running two 120G IDE drives in RAID1 and I'm looking
for opinions on which RAID controller would be the best to go with.
The Highpoint RocketRAID133 seems to be the one for what I want to
do and I've had some good feedback about the RR133 and the ata
driver, but I'd like to know what others think. I would like to use
a controller that works with an open-source driver simply cause
manufacturers sometimes drop driver support without warning.

   The machine itself is a Celeron 1.4, Intel D815EEA2U motherboard,
512M RAM and an Intel Pro/100+ NIC. It does basic web/dns/mail/etc.
for a small number of people. I don't expect to see super-high loads
on the machine or anything, but having a setup that can take a bit
of pounding and be stable is what I'm going for.

   Any input or suggestions people can make will be helpful. I'm
probably going to be ordering the drives/controller this weekend
to go in to service in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks,
Josh