Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:52:56 +0100
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel gigabit driver

John Polstra wrote:

> In article <3C057850.55E9BC99@pipeline.ch>, Andre Oppermann
> <oppermann@pipeline.ch> wrote:
>
> > What happend at Intel? Their driver is even released under the BSD
> > license! (and the Linux one under the GPL)
>
> That last bit is incorrect.  The Intel driver for Linux is released
> under a 3-clause BSD license.

I doesn't look like a clean BSD license thought... But it's also not
under the GPL as such...

Anyway, after the rants here on this list from time to time about
Intel's strict NDA and Open Source driver problems I was surprised
to see such a move from them.

Part of the Intel Linux GiGE driver License:

"This license shall include changes to the Software that are error
 corrections or other minor changes to the Software that do not add
 functionality or features when the Software is incorporated in any
 version of a operating  system that has been distributed under the
 GNU General Public License 2.0 or later.  This patent license shall
 apply to the combination of the Software and any operating system
 licensed under the GNU Public License version 2.0 or later if, at
 the time Intel provides the Software to Recipient, such addition of
 the Software to the then publicly available versions of such operating
 system available under the GNU Public License version 2.0 or later
 (whether in gold, beta or alpha form) causes such combination to be
 covered by the Licensed Patents."

--
Andre