Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:30:54 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   [newbie porter] how and where to copy extra files?

I have a tarball with some documentation, examples, models and
scripts that I like to have installed under $PREFIX/share

First of all how do I do this in the Makefile? I mean I can
just do 'cp work/package-name/documentation/* ${PREFIX}/share/doc'
but I've seen that ports Makefiles like to have more generic
ways of doing it ... perhaps there are some variables
already set that I can use ...

Then the second issue is that of playing well with others
and avoid polluting $PREFIX/share. hier(7) says nothing
about /usr/local/share, but I've seen that
i) there are package specific directories
	-> I can create one for my port and dump everything there
ii) there are 'doc' and 'examples' dirs
	-> I can dump docs and examples there, but what about the
	other extra stuff (scripts and models)?

What is the recommended way of dealing with this?

Thanks in advance,

Fernan

--
F e r n a n   A g u e r o