Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:26:34 -0800
From:      Joe B <jcb2023az@gmail.com>
To:        iio7@tutanota.com
Cc:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I am sick and tired of the poor quality of documentation on FreeBSD

On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 20:51:01 +0100 (CET)
iio7@tutanota.com wrote:

> Take a look at how it's done on OpenBSD! Take a look at have it's
> done on Arch Linux!
>=20
> When there is something that is going to break something during an
> upgrade, you get timely information and a step by step instruction in
> what to do - BEFORE you do it!
>=20
> Something like this doesn't help!
> =C2=A0 Pool 'zroot' has the bootfs property set, you might need to update
> the boot code. See gptzfsboot(8) and loader.efi(8) for details.
>=20
> I might need to update the boot code!? WTF does that even mean?
>=20
>  I never touched any boot code during installation so I don't even
> know what that is! And reading those man pages did NOT help me in any
> way.
>=20
> So now I got a box that's borked with this beautiful message after
> updating the zroot pool:
>=20
> ZFS: unsupported feature: com.delphix:head_errlog
> ZFS: pool zroot is not supported
> Can't find /boot/zfsloader
> Can't find /boot/loader
> Can't find /boot/kernel/kernel
>=20
>=20
>=20

I know exactly what you are going through i updated to 14.0-RELEASE
from 13.2-RELEASE and i was stuck. I didn't know what to do. There are
some outlets that can help though until the documentation gets better
like the arch wiki and other places.

I Been on FreeBSD a week

1. https://forums.freebsd.org/
2. https://libera.chat/ then join #freebsd
3. https://discord.com/ & https://wiki.freebsd.org/Discord join the
#helpdesk channel
4. https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/freebsd
5. This mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/subscription/freebsd-questions

When you ask for help don't complain just ask and layout what you've
done and what you are looking for and you will get a response.

Try it.

Joe B