Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 07:20:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        atomicjello@cyberjunkie.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some problems started to show up

In a previous message, Jason Lin said:
> Dear FreeBSD users:
>
> I just installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 yesterday,
> but when I tried to compile pine by using
> the make command, it gives me an error
> saying that the something.tgz file doesn't
> exist. But yesterday I choose to install
> all files, not just part of it.

Due to the size of source distributions, you
won't find them on the CD. It wants to
download the source. FreeBSD ports contain
just patches and configurations to make a
program work on FreeBSD.

You can probably find a pre-compiled version
of pine on the first cdrom in packages/mail.

Otherwise, you need to have a connection to
the internet to ftp down the sources (just
typing make will do that for you).

> The second problem is rather confusing. I
> tried to save my kernel configuration, but
> it just wouldn't save. The problem is
> that I had 23 conflicts, and I disable
> the "CONF" devices, then I saved the
> configuration and quit, but when I reboot
> and went into the kernel configuration,
> it displays the same conflicts.

Curious. The kernel has to boot up to
be saved. Did you reboot before letting
the machine come up?

I never run the GENERIC kernel. You probably
want to compile a custom kernel with just
the things in it that you need.

> Everytime I boot to "boot:" I had to
> specify "0:wd(1,a)kernel" in able to
> boot correctly into FreeBSD, is there
> anyway to let boot: do it by itself without
> my command? Right now when I let boot:
> boot itself without the "0:wd(1,a)kernel"
> command it gives me an error saying it
> cannot mount the root.

I think that you can use /kernel.conf for
this. Also, recompiling the kernel and
setting the root to wd1 might help.

--
TITLES OF THE LOVE BALLADS YOU CAN SING TO YOUR BELOVED

"'You Are My Darling Even Though You Also Know My Sister.'"    --Larry, age 8