Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:29:54 +0200
From:      ABDALLAH Faycal <faycal.abdallah@cegetel.fr>
To:        "'dsyphers@uchicago.edu'" <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>, doug@safeport.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: kde

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, David Syphers wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
> What does .xsession-errors have to say about this and/or XFree86.<n>.log
have to
> say about this setup? You might delete (or rename) the old files so you
can
see
> just what the current error are.

There is no .xsession-errors generated.  XFree86.0.log says

>----
>XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 18 January 2002
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 4.6 i386 [ELF]
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Fri Jun  7 16:56:07 2002
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

Fatal server error:
no screens found

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
>Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.
>----
>
>Note that I'm using ttyv8 turned on here.  But if I turn it off, or
substitute
>the path to kdm instead of xdm, I get exactly the same thing in
XFree86.0.log
>and no .xsession-errors file.  I think my computer is just cursed  :)

>-David

hi there,
i had this problem two days ago and i think that all what u need is to edit
the "/etc/X11/XF86config" with any editor u like and just follow the
instructions about Section "Screen" in your handbook, you probably didn't
configured the DefaultDepth correctly or misconfigured any other vatriable
but ur error is certainly in the Screen section... see the site below:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/x-config.html

Regards
Faissal